Friday, August 3, 2007

Morning Reflections: "Redemption"



How incredible is the mercy and forgiveness of our Heavenly Father, who sent His one and only Son to die on the cross for a sinful and corrupt people. Yet even though the power of sin has been broken in my life, I still sin. Though I am justified, "a thousand clinging corruptions and infirmities" still assail me. And as I am tempted to despair over my sin, God is quick to remind me of the truth of His word, that He has paid the price for my sins and I am justified. And this world of sin is not my true home, but heaven is. I pray I will be able to live out my life in a worthy manner during my life. Here are some words from Octavius Winslow, who helped inform my thoughts this morning.


"And so, too, of "redemption." The ransom-price is paid, but the body is not yet fully redeemed. It still is fettered, and cribbed, and cabined by a thousand clinging corruptions and infirmities. But the day of its complete redemption draws near. In virtue of its ransom it will spring from the dust, its last link of corruption entirely and forever dissolved. "But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. He will take these weak mortal bodies of ours and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same mighty power that he will use to conquer everything, everywhere." Like unto Christ's glorious body! Oh, then, no deformity will mar its symmetry! no infirmity will impair its strength! no sickness, no fainting, no nervousness, no pangs of suffering or throes of death will ever assail and torment it more! For this "redemption of the body" the sons of God are waiting. Our heavenly Father has adopted it. Our Divine Savior has redeemed it. The Holy Spirit, our Comforter, has sealed it. Oh yes! The first-fruits of the "first resurrection" bloom on the grave of the holy dead. This page may arrest the eye of a sufferer, not soothed in his grief or cheered in his loneliness by such prospects as these. But there still is hope. Jesus died for sinners, and there is mercy even for the chief. Blessed suffering, hallowed sorrow, if now, in the agony of your grief, you are led to the Savior to learn, what in the sunny hour of prosperity and gladness you refused to learn, that God only can make you happy, and that God in Christ is prepared to make you happy. O heaven-sent affliction! sweet messenger of love! beautiful in your somber robes, bearing to my soul a blessing so divine, so precious as this!" - Octavius Winslow

No comments: