Thursday, August 9, 2007

Morning Reflections: "Miracle Of Grace"


The past couple of days I have been more acutely aware of the sinner I am and what I have been saved from. I am the worst sinner I know and yet, Christ has redeemed me and called me to the highest purpose of striving to bring Him glory all the days of my life. In reading an account about Mary Magdalen by Charles Spurgeon, I was freshly amazed at all the Lord does in our lives. Mary's case reminds me of my own when he writes, "Hers was a hopeless, horrible case. But Jesus passed that way, and unsought, and probably even resisted by the poor demoniac, he uttered the word of power, and Mary of Magdala became a trophy of the healing power of Jesus." Even though I was not possessed by demonic spirits as Mary was, I was possessed by the power of sin in my life and unable to save myself. "What a happy change! From delirium to delight, from despair to peace, from hell to heaven!" Mary immediately became a follower of Jesus. Her passion and love for Him never diminished, but she followed him for the rest of Jesus' life on earth and I'm sure until her death as well. "Straightway she became a constant follower of Jesus, catching his every word, following his devious steps, sharing his toilsome life; and withal she became his generous helper, first among that band of healed and grateful women who ministered unto him of their substance." She not only looked on from afar at her Savior, but she entered in to life with him. "She could not die on the cross with Jesus, but she stood as near it as she could, and when his blessed body was taken down, she watched to see how and where it was laid. She was the faithful and watchful believer, last at the sepulchre where Jesus slept, first at the grave whence he arose. Her holy fidelity made her a favoured beholder of her beloved Rabboni, who deigned to call her by her name, and to make her his messenger of good news to the trembling disciples and Peter. Thus grace found her a maniac and made her a minister, cast out devils and gave her to behold angels, delivered her from Satan, and united her for ever to the Lord Jesus. May I also be such a miracle of grace!" Mary was grateful for the redemption she had received, but she didn't just say thank you and move on. Her life became that of service to God. Her life became one of love and devotion to her Lord. Mary truly understood what she had been saved from and her life was a reflection of that. I too am desirous of such a life of devotion!


"Holy God, thank you for the example of Mary's life. May I cultivate the kind of devotion that Mary had in my own life. May I say, 'thus grace found me a maniac and made me a minister'. May I be a constant follower of You and not of this world. May I be a messenger of good news. May I be...a miracle of grace."

No comments: