Friday, March 13, 2009

To Gaze Upon The Lord

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus." Hebrews 12:2
"The secret of peace and power - Do not be so often considering how much you love Jesus--but how much He loves you. Your love is but the effect; His is the cause. And the more you have to do with the cause, the more fully will the effect flow from it. Just so with faith. If you would have it grow, it must be by looking at Jesus--not by looking at your faith. The more you "consider Him," and are continually coming unto Him--the more lively and healthy will be the graces of the Spirit in your soul. And you will rejoice--not in your fruitfulness--but only in Him and in what He has done and suffered. If the Holy Spirit opens this to you, you will find the secret of peace and power. It is all in Christ! He says, "Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, and come away!" Away from self, away from all besides--to be absorbed in Him!"- Ruth Bryan

There is truth in the fact that fixing our gaze upon Jesus gives us strength to walk out our days, overcome sin and grow in holiness. It also helps maintain our peace when our focused is anchored upon Him. I know that I am prone to look at myself and either my progress or failures, instead of looking to Christ. It's so true that my love for the Savior is the effect, but His love is the cause of that effect! What a gift to be able to look to the Lord! To stand before Him justified and free of spot and blemish. I am praying that my eyes will look to the Lord more with each passing day.

"One thing have I asked of the Lord,that will I seek after:that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple." - Psalm 27:4

No comments: