Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Great Mystery Of God's Patience


"The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance." - 2 Peter 3:9

Thoughts have been freshly sparked recently concerning the GREAT patience of God toward His creation. Imagine creating something and loving your creation beyond comprehension, and yet they curse you, deny you, rebel against you and act like they are sufficient in and of themselves. The world does that with God...I do that with God. Even though we are dependent on Him for our next breathe, we can choose to declare that He doesn't exist or to disobey Him. We live in the earth He created. Enjoy the sun, moon, ocean and mountains, which He created. Experience many joys and pleasures having been manifested by His hands, and yet, we often act as though all we have is a right and that we need no interference from the One who gave them to us. When I really, truly think about the minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years that God endures His creations self-sufficient attitude and sin, well, that is when I understand His love for me a little better. In spite of our failings, He draws our cold, proud hearts to Him and waits for us to recognize our need for Him and call Him Lord.

So, the next time I find myself grumbling against God for being slow to accomplish something in my life and give me something, I hope I take a moment to bow down and THANK Him for His attribute of "slowness". Without that slowness, which is really patience, He would have had every reason in the world to pour out His wrath upon me time and time again. I hope that as we ponder God's patience with us from day to day, our hearts will swell with greater love for our Heavenly Father! Elisabeth Elliot's words seal my thoughts exactly.

"I can, by the power mysteriously granted me by my Creator and Redeemer, declare myself master of my fate, captain of my soul, and say, "My will be done." That the Lord should expose Himself to this effrontery in a million forms, for millions of days and nights, is the mystery of love and grace. Still He draws us with cords of love, calls us to come, waits (amazing grace) for us to bow and say, "My Lord and my God!"

No comments: