Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lots of Questions...One Answer

Christ is the answer. Most definitely. Yes. But hmm...what was the question?

The question I suppose doesn't matter as much as the answer. All questions come under one of three headings, says Elisabeth Elliot.

1. Way: we need Guidance
2. Truth: we need a norm
3. Life: we need sustenance

I have seen in my own life, that I have a habitual record of over complicating things. I pray for guidance and as soon as I'm done praying, I make myself crazy trying to figure out how to solve whatever the situation may be. I do believe that a person needs to balance trusting in God's sovereignty, with their own responsibility, but I see how I often put more of the responsibility on myself. God doesn't hide his will from us. We just sometimes have a hard time learning to discern what he is saying. I know failing to sit quietly before the Lord and listening can be a big hindrance to me knowing God's will.

*I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. - psalm 32:8
*Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. - psalm 143:8
*Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way you should go. - isaiah 48:17
*That the Lord your God may show us the way we should go, and the thing that we should. - jeremiah 42:3

I once heard it said that by using the letters in the word "listen", you can spell the word "silent". To be able to effectively listen to the Lord, we have to find a place of silence and also silence our hearts before God. Christ isn't just our answer for salvation, or for that sin we're struggling with. He is our answer to every single question in life, from the biggest to the smallest. When I look at life that way, a whole new aspect of joy, peace and understanding presents itself. Now I just need to apply what I know!

"Jesus said, "I am" all of these things (the way, truth and life). Let us bring everything that baffles us into his presence, holding it up before Him by faith. In that Light, the look of things will slowly begin to change, and as we humble ourselves to receive the true answer, our eyes will be opened. We learn to know Christ, then, as we walk in his way, obey his truth, and live his life. He Himself, a living, loving Person, is our answer." - elisabeth elliot

No comments: