Monday, October 13, 2008

Though Clouds May Hide The Sun It's Always Shining...

I don't know if this is a real word, but Elisabeth Elliot used it so...the word is "humdudgeon" which means "a loud complaint about a trifle." She also wrote about a mother who told her children they had to write out any complaint they had on paper in two hundred words or more. This significantly cut down on the whining at their house. I may not be one to complain loudly all the time, but how often do I complain in my heart about my circumstances? Whether we like to think so or not, human life is full of trouble. When we are born, we can expect there to be joys ahead, but there will always be trouble as well. That is just a fact of life. We shouldn't ask why there is trouble, but how will we respond when it comes? If I compared my list of "troubles" with that of others, I know I would be ashamed of the complaining I have done in my heart. Contentment in any circumstances should be my response.

A spirit of calm contentment always accompanies true godliness. The deep peace that comes from deep trust in God's loving kindness is not destroyed even by the worst of circumstances, for those Everlasting Arms are still cradling us, we are always "under the Mercy."

I need to change my thinking and view every circumstance as a means God is using to make me more like Christ. Amy Charmical said this about how to view our circumstances, "See in it a chance to die," meaning a chance to leave self behind and say YES to the will of God, to be "conformable unto His death." Not a morbid martyr-complex but a peaceful and happy contentment in the assurance that goodness and mercy follow us all the days of our lives. So, I am hoping to turn the things I view as annoyances, hardships, injustice and trials as blessings, praise opportunities and God's kindness to actually do what He said He'd do, which is continue His work in me. The truth is...I have nothing to complain about.

This is the prayer of 17 year old Lady Jane Grey as she was imprisoned and about to be executed in 1554:

O merciful God, be Thou unto me
A strong Tower of defence,
I humbly entreat Thee.
Give me grace to await Thy leisure,
And patiently to bear
What Thou doest unto me;
Nothing doubting or mistrusting
Thy goodness towards me;
For Thou knowest what is good for me
Better than I do.
Therefore do with me in all things
What Thou wilt; Only arm me,
I beseech Thee, With Thine armor,
That I may stand fast;
Above all things taking to me
The shield of faith;
Praying always that I may
Refer myself wholly to Thy will,
Abiding Thy pleasure, and comforting myself
In those troubles which it shall please Thee
To send me, seeing such troubles are
Profitable for me; and I am
Assuredly persuaded that all Thou doest
Cannot but be well; and unto Thee
Be all honor and glory. Amen.

No comments: