Tuesday, October 7, 2008

God's Perfect Will...


I know I reference the Boundless articles a lot, but they are just so good and insightful. I like how the articles are always helpful to everyone, even if it may not be about a topic that directly applies to you. The following one that I am going to quote from starts with a young guy writing in and asking a question about pursuing a job and marriage at the same time, followed by one of the Boundless writers response. Obviously this isn’t a position I’m in, but God used the part about His will to speak to me.

“One of the things we must understand about God's will for our lives is that it is perfect. No, it is not lived out by us perfectly. But in His sovereignty, He somehow brings His perfect will to bear upon our imperfect practice of it and works everything for our good and His glory.

I don't know how He does it. I don't have to know how He does it. I only know He is God and quite capable of working that out.

Part of what "perfect" means is that God's will for my life can't contradict itself. It's unified in all its parts. One part of it won't conflict with another. On the contrary, all parts compliment the others.

If you believe you are daily following the leadership of the Spirit of Christ in your life, and you are open to whatever God instructs at any given moment, then you don't need to worry about how or when it will happen. You only need to concern yourself with obedience to the will of God.

God wants us to hold our lives with a wide open hand as we pursue Him above everything, both business and relational. Most of us hold on so tightly we'd need a crowbar to pry us loose from our own grip. That's not a life of faith and trust in a God who will never forsake us.” – John Thomas

John Thomas also says that one of the evidences of following the will of God concerning decisions, is peace. Now we can’t abuse this advice by doing anything and everything we want and say we are doing God’s will because we have “peace”, but if we are truly walking in His ways, studying scripture, having godly fellowship and accountability in our lives and desire God’s glory above all, then one of the ways He can help us know His will is with a sense of peace for whatever we have decided.

One of the most encouraging parts of this article to me was when he said that God’s will for our lives can’t contradict itself. So, even though I have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God time and time again, God is still working everything out in my life for my good and His glory. All its parts, both good and bad, will compliment each other. God, wants me to live with open hands. He wants me to lift all my failures, dreams, hopes, joys, sorrows and everything else up to him and say that even though I am often tempted to hold on tightly to them, I can trust Him to do as He wills with all of it. I will never be able to live my life out perfectly…and though I can frequently think that my sin or decisions are going to thwart God’s will for my life and mess everything up…that is not true. God’s will is perfect, even when I am not.

Read the entire article by John T. here http://www.boundless.org/2005/answers/a0001862.cfm

No comments: