Thursday, October 23, 2008

Taking Heart As We Wait...


“Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Psalm 27:14

Waiting on the Lord for most people is a daily occurrence whether they are aware of it or not. But the world and especially this generation has grown to detest waiting for anything. Fast food is no longer fast enough. If we see a checkout line that’s too long we often put whatever we were going to buy back and leave. The days of saving to buy something are over and credit is preferred. But God seems to highly value waiting. He understands that because we don’t like it, it’s the very thing we often need to help us grow. He used waiting to work in Abraham, Jacob, the Israelites and so many others. There was always a purpose and always a result for God’s glory and their good. Paul Tripp describes waiting this way,

"Waiting on God isn't about the suspension of meaning and purpose. It's part of the meaning and purpose that God has brought into my life. Waiting on God isn't to be viewed as an obstruction in the way of the plan. Waiting is an essential part of the plan. For the child of God, waiting isn't simply about what I'll receive at the end of my wait. No, waiting is much more purposeful, efficient, and practical than that. Waiting is fundamentally about what I'll become as I wait. God is using the wait to do in and through me exactly what He's promised. Through the wait He's changing me. By means of the wait He's altering the fabric of my thoughts and desires. Through the wait He's causing me to see and experience new things about Him and His kingdom. And all of this sharpens me, enabling me to be a more useful tool in His redemptive hands."

I know for myself I can be so concerned with what I’m currently waiting for that I forget to praise God for what He is doing and will do. I know that if I never had to wait for anything, I would most definitely be spoiled. My faith in God would be weak. My trust and contentment would depend on my circumstances. Through waiting He alters the very fabric of my thoughts and desires. God knows me better and loves me better than to let me have my own way and timing. But God is not unsympathetic with the fact that He knows it is hard for us to wait…that’s why in Psalms it says to “be strong and take heart”. So, whatever it is you are waiting for whether it be a job, well behaved children, a spouse, your dream home, the salvation of a friend or family member, deliverance from a besetting sin, injury, illness or whatever the case may be, take heart as you wait on God. He will never leave us no forsake us and He is right there with us as we wait on Him. How comforting and kind of God. Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord.

“But they are "the paths of the Lord" -His choosing; and, be assured, He will "lead His people by a right way." It may not be the way of their own selecting. It may be the very last they would have chosen. But when He leads His sheep, "He goes before them." The Shepherd portions off our pasture-ground. He guides the footsteps of the flock. He will lead them by no rougher way than He sees needful. Does a father give his child his own way? If he did, it would be his ruin. Will God surrender us to our own truant wills, which are often bent on nothing so much as wandering farthest from Him? He knows us better! He loves us better! Believer, it is the loftiest triumph and prerogative of faith to have no way- no path of your own- but with childlike simplicity and reliance to say, "Teach me Your paths." "Undertake for me!" Lead me however and wherever You please. Let it be through the darkest, loneliest, thorniest way- only let it bring me nearer Yourself.” – John MacDuff

Out of the depths, O Lord, I cry to You
When I am tempted to despair
Though I might fail to trust Your promises
You never fail to hear my prayer
And if You judged my sin
I’d never stand again
But I see mercy in Your hands
*
So more than watchmen for the morning
I will wait for You, my God
When my fears come with no warning
In Your Word I’ll put my trust
When the harvest time is over and I still see no fruit
I will wait, I will wait for You
*
The secret mysteries belong to You
We only know what You reveal
And all my questions that are unresolved
Don’t change the wisdom of Your will
In every trial and loss
My hope is in the cross
Where Your compassions never fail

2 comments:

Candace said...

ahhh... waiting. Oh what fun it is ;) But seriously, thanks for the post =D

Lana said...

ahh =)