Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Learning To Wait...

"Lead me in your truth, and teach me; for you are the God of my
salvation; on you do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:5

The word "wait" has been on my mind a lot lately. What exactly does it mean to "wait on the Lord"? Well, to the contrary of what people may think, waiting is a verb. It's active not passive. While we wait on the Lord, we must constantly be reminding ourselves of His truth and promises. Prayer is also a key tool while waiting. It's in prayer that our hearts commune with God. It's in prayer that we can lay our innermost thoughts, fears, joys and desires at His throne of grace. Prayer can help strengthen our faith and God can soothe our souls and bring every misguided thought into submission to His will. It's in the depths of prayer that the Lord teaches our hearts to dance with him.

Waiting, is to never give up on God. While the world teaches us to look for quick solutions, the Lord often has other things in mind. God never makes us wait in vain. There is always some lesson to be learned, blessing to be had or calamity to be avoided. We can wait on the Lord, knowing that He is sovereign and works in His perfect time and way. Sometimes we can grow weary of waiting for God to help us overcome a certain sin, to give us our hearts desires, be delivered from a trial or gain understanding about a certain decision needing to be made...whatever we are waiting on the Lord for, we can trust that He knows best and is working for our good and ultimately His glory. I read in an article once that sometimes it's not that the Lord isn't ready to give, but sometimes we are the ones who aren't ready to receive. In my experience, though hard and unwanted at the time, waiting has always made things sweeter in the end. After a long battle with sin, God's grace and forgiveness is much more beautiful to me. After waiting for something I desire, I cherish it more that I probably would have if I had been given it right away. After finally discerning God's will on a matter and making a decision, the sound of His voice and sense of His peace are a rich blessing. Waiting on the Lord isn't a punishment, it is a sweet blessing the Lord uses in each and every one of our lives. I pray I will count it a joy to wait on the Lord.

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord

Our God, You reign forever
Our hope, our Strong Deliverer

1 comment:

overthinker said...

hey lana-
thank you so much for the comment! {you pick the one day i do something crazy haha}

i haven't been commenting, but i have been benefitting from much of the content here...thank you for introducing me to JR Miller. :)

i'll be praying for you as you lean on God in this season of "active waiting."

"I wait for the LORD,my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning,more than watchmen for the morning." psalm 130.5-6