Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Has Your Forever Been Changed?


What does “Forever” mean? It means without ending, always existing, perpetual and ceaseless. For something as important as “Forever”, it’s pretty obvious that whatever that is going to be is worth thinking over. Why the sudden pondering of this word? Well as I drove to work this morning, a song was playing and our kind God took one line from that song and pierced my heart with it. “And to know that your forever has been changed.” There is only one true place of “Forever” and that is where we'll be after we die. Will someone’s “Forever” be with God or eternally separated from Him? My “Forever” was set. I was running as fast as I could to a “Forever” away from God. But God in His rich mercy picked me up and gave me a new life. One spent with Him. My “Forever” has been changed. Now every day I live has a new direction, a new purpose, new joys, new challenges, new loves. This new “Forever” affects everything. It changes our convictions, our desires, jobs, places we live, relationships, current marriages and future ones. All is now done for the glory of the One who has saved us and with a view of where we are headed. Until God saves us we are all headed down a destructive path to “Forever”, but because God sent His Son to die for our sins we can be forgiven and have the hope of living with Him in eternity. Isn’t God good to redirect us to something better than we deserve or can imagine? I pray I will not live like I am still headed toward the world’s “Forever”, but that I will strive to live in light of eternity.

“The deepest longing of your heart is for one person and one place. Jesus is that person. Heaven is that place. A thousand counterfeits vie for your attention, trying to convince you that they are what you’re looking for. But you’ll never find true satisfaction with what the Shadowlands of this world have to offer. What you really crave can only be found in the land of substance: heaven.” – Randy Alcorn

No comments: