Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In The Hands Of A Sovereign Potter...


On Sunday, my dad spoke about the providence of God. He gave an example about how we can often feel as though we are on an inter tube rushing down the raging river of life. We feel out of control. But from God's perspective, we are smoothly floating down calm waters under his watchful care. I know for myself I can feel that way sometimes. I have to realize that God is in complete control. He is infinite and will always do what is right and good. We are finite and therefore need never question His ways. Why should the created question the Creator?

I know the Lord must be glorified when we present ourselves to the sovereign and perfect will of God, humbly submitting to whatever He lays upon us, seeking grace to do whatever He commands us. It's a sad hard fact, but a lot of what God chooses to doin our lives is initially displeasing to our flesh, and our sin within us often rises up. That is when we need to pray hardest for hearts and eyes of faith and to say like Job, "Though He slays me, yet will I trust in Him" (v. 15).

A heart which is truly at rest and trusting, is one that realizes that God directing all things by His perfect wisdom and making all things "work together for good" for His children. Even for the mature Christian many of God's ways are a mystery. God has reminded me countless times that if we knew everything He was doing we would have no need to exercise faith. Trying to control things ourselves only demonstrates our foolishness. Though to human eyes, all may seem to be out of order, we are really unable to see His perfect, governing ways. Faith, sees that God can make no mistakes.

I know for myself, I can sometimes ask the question as to why God just wouldn't Make me stop sinning? I've heard some people ask if God is really all powerful and good, why wouldn't He just save everyone? We may never know the answers to those questions and honestly it doesn't matter...that's God's business. As A.W Pink says, OUR business, "is to be clay in the hands of the Potter; to unmurmingly submit to His holy and sovereign pleasure, to lie passive, and be molded by Him. Our business is to take our place in the dust before the Almighty, and say--Lord, in Your mercy subdue my rebellious will, quiet my restless soul, purify my unbelieving heart. Our business is to delight ourselves in the Lord (Psalm 37:4), and to give thanks "always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Eph. 5:20)."

That is my prayer today...that I will seek and desire to be clay in the hands of a most loving, sovereign, skilled and trustworthy Potter. This will mean daily dying to myself, but with God's grace it is possible.

"I should expect everyday to encounter circumstantial evidence of God's commitment to my dying. And I must seize upon every God given opportunity to be conformed more fully to Christ's death no matter the pain involved."

1 comment:

Candace said...

Hey Lana! all your posts lately have been VERY encouraging to me. Thank you! Keep em' coming! ;)