Thursday, September 11, 2008

Picture of Grace...


God has given me fresh thankfulness for grace lately. God's freely given and unmerited grace. It is true that my prideful and self-sufficient heart can sometimes resist the idea of free grace and think that there has to be more to it than that. In my pride I feel like I need to earn it. Deep down however, I know that even with my best efforts that would never be possible. It's comforting to know that God, who is rich in mercy, doesn't require anything in return. But in light of all He's done for me, shouldn't I strive to give Him my very best? I read a quote once that in essence said, if we consider how much Christ sacrificed for us and how little we sacrifice for him, we would blush. I pray I will do a better job to honor God with my life and embrace the grace He has given me. From the moment my eyes open in the morning til the time I close them at night, it is all of God's grace that has carried me through. Grace makes the picture of life more beautiful.

"With great reluctance we give up our flattering opinions of ourselves. We find it difficult to discard of the notion of our own inherent merit. It is hard to drag man away from the rock of self-justification. He is glued so fast to the great stone of self-conceit, which lies close by the gates of hell, that a stronger than Hercules is needed to tear him from it; and even such a deliverer must rip him from it,leaving the skin behind. From the gate of the City of Destruction up to the pearl gate of the New Jerusalem, it is all grace. The road to glory is paved with stones of grace. The chariot in which we ride to heaven is all of grace. The strength that draws it, and the axle that bears it up, is all of grace and grace alone. In the whole covenant of grace, from the first letter of the charter down to its last word, there is nothing at all of merit or man's goodness, but it is grace, grace, grace! Oh, how this casts mire into the face of human self-sufficiency! O for a gospel that reveals the sinner as saved by grace from first to last,that God may have all the praise!"-Spurgeon

1 comment:

Oshea Davis said...

I can testify that seeing every moment through the window of my King Jesus Christ’s free grace to me is the only sweetener of life. The moment I start to think I deserve something or thing I need something other than Jesus Christ I find contentment falls through my hands as sand through my fingers. Seeing all of like through the window of a Sovereign God who proved His love through mercy, is the goal of my life. Oh my God grant us all such a life of fiath.

And your right Lana, it so simple, but our pride in its illogicalness doesn’t seem to like that. Go figure?

Keeping up the fight together in Christ: Oshea