Monday, July 30, 2007

A Legacy



Saturday was my Abuela's eighty-seventh birthday! Around lunch time my family drove down to the little town where she lives. It was a reunion of my dad's side of the family. My dad's oldest brother and his family were there, as well as my dad's younger sister and brother. A traditional Puerto Rican feast soon followed our arrival. At the end of the meal my Abuela stood up and wanted to give a gift to everyone there. On her birthday, she wanted to bless others. She started by praising and blessing God for His goodness and faithfulness to her. She then read a list of about twenty prayers of blessing that she had been praying for all of us. Some of them were specifically for the "grandchildren", but most of it was for everyone. In that moment I was struck with the legacy that this godly woman was leaving all of us. She is leaving a legacy of a life lived for God. A word rarely leaves her mouth that is not laced with praises for God or wisdom from His word. She has had a profound impact on all who know her and I am so thankful that God has blessed my life with a treasure such as her.




I want to leave a legacy. How will they


remember me? Did I choose to love?


Did I point to You enough? To make a


mark on things? I want to leave an


offering A child of mercy and grace


who blessed your name unapologetically


And leave that kind of legacy


~Legacy by Nichole Nordeman~


No comments: