Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hidden Away In An Abbey...


I use to be slightly offended when people would call me naive to the ways of the world. "I'm not naive!", I would indignantly think. "I know plenty of things concerning worldly ways and wisdom." Now that I look back, I realize how humbled and happy I should have been to have been told that. Sadly, I am not as naive as I would like to be. The ways of the world are pervasive and my flesh all too eager to participate.

I use to think that if I were hidden away in some secret Abbey in the country as a nun, I would be much better at this Christian thing. I've realized that moving away to the wilderness and living in isolation would not be the answer to avoiding sin. Sin lives within me and therefore, has to be dealt with head on. It's true that God wishes us to be pure and I suppose naive in a sense, but He also calls us to be wise as serpents. In Matthew 10: 16 it's explained a little better. "Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves."

In spite of all that we've done, seen or heard, we can still be pure before the Lord. Because of Christ' sacrifice on our behalf we have been washed as white as snow! King David was by no means a stranger to the world, but even after failure, he chose to trust in God and pursue the path of righteousness. I have been meditating on his words on this matter for several weeks now and God is continually strengthening my desire to "ponder the way that is blameless and walk with integrity of heart within my house".

"I will sing of steadfast love and justice; to you, O Lord, I will make music. I will ponder the way that is blameless. Oh when will you come to me? I will walk with integrity of heart within my house; I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me. A perverse heart shall be far from me; I will know nothing of evil." -Psalm 101:1-4

The four verses above are not passive poetry. It's desire for holiness put into action.
David is actively:
"singing" to the Lord.
"pondering" the way that is blameless.
"walking" with integrity of heart.
Not "setting" his eyes on worthless things.
"hating" the work of those who fall away.
"knowing" nothing of evil.

He's not saying he won't be aware of sin and temptation, but he will choose to walk the path of integrity and choose righteousness instead of evil. I've realized that it's not enough to abstain from sin. That can only last for so long. To really grow in purity and holiness, we have to "put on" righteousness. Whatever sin we are putting off, has to be replaced by something we are putting on. This isn't always easy, but God is faithful to strengthen us and give us grace to pursue the things he has called us to. By God's grace we can all walk with integrity of heart in this dark world.

No comments: