Monday, December 15, 2008

Submit To The Appointments Of Our Maker

By John Newton
How highly does it become us, both as creatures and as sinners, to submit to the appointments of our Maker! and how necessary is it to our peace! This great attainment is to often unthought of and overlooked; we are prone to fix our attention upon the second causes and immediate instruments of events; forgetting whatever befalls us is according to His purpose, and therefore must be right and seasonable in itself, and shall in the issue be productive of good. From hence arise impatience, resentment, and secret repinings, which are not only sinful but tormenting; whereas if all things are in His hand, if the very hairs of our head are numbered, if every event, great and small are under the direction of his providence and purpose; and if he has a wise, holy, and gracious end in view, to which everything that happens is subordinate and subservient; then we have nothing to do, but with patience and humility to follow as He leads, and cheerfully to expect a happy issue. The path of present duty is marked out; and the concerns of the next and every succeeding hour are in His hands. How happy are they who can resign all to Him, see His hands in every dispensation, and believe that He chooses better for them then they possibly could for themselves!

Heavenly Father, You know the state of my heart this morning. Your know the darkness, doubt and fears I am struggling with. Help me to remind myself of the truth of Your word and Your promises. Help me hold fast to the fact that You are the "blessing of peace". You hold my past, present and futures days in Your hands. Thank you for the gift of perfect and complete atonement You have given. Help me to fully embrace that truth. Lead me down the path I should go. The path that will be for Your glory. Continue Your sanctifying work in my life and make my love for You grow into deeper and greater depths. Amen

No comments: