Thursday, December 4, 2008

Be Real...


This morning as I read the following quote by Spurgeon, I was provoked afresh with the desire to be "real". First and foremost I want to be real because that is what God has called me to be. To be real, honest, trustworthy and walking out my life in a worthy manner. The second reason, is because I don't want to bring reproach on God by living a hypocritical life and turn unbelievers off to the gospel. I know I have been hypocritical many, many times and I know I still am, but by God's grace there is hope to grow in becoming "real" for His glory. I can also struggle with the temptation to not be "real" for fear of getting hurt. It's true that without risk the potential to be hurt goes down, but so does the potential for blessing. Plus, God often uses all hurts as well as blessings to mold us into who we are suppose to be. - Another thing I was particularly convicted by was through Spurgeon's words about not flirting with Christ, but being married to Him. I know that there are areas in my life where I have not completely surrendered to Him or haven't been giving the attention that is needed. But God is faithful to continue His work in His children and I love how He stirs our hearts to desire greater holiness. God is good!

Be real! From Spurgeon's sermon, "Religion- a Reality"
Oh! you who profess to be Christians, do not live so as to make worldlings think that your religion is a trifling thing! Be cheerful, but oh! be holy! Be happy, for that is your privilege; but oh! be heavenly-minded, for that is your duty. Let men see that you are not flirting with Christ, but that you are married to him. Let them see that you are not dabbling in this as in a little speculation, but that it is the business of your life, the stern business of all your powers to live to Christ, Christ also living in you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie,

I am always encouraged and provoked by your post. Thank you and love you always. Mom