Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Killing Unbelief

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!”-Matthew 7.7-11
“If all these things are available by simply knocking at mercy’s door then, my soul, knock hard this morning, and make large requests of your generous Lord. Do not leave the throne of grace until all your wants have been spread before the Lord and until by faith you are confident that they will all be supplied. You need not be shy about taking Jesus up on His invitation. No unbelief should hinder when Jesus promises. No coldheartedness should restrain when such blessings are to be obtained!”

"All God's gifts are prepared gifts laid away to meet wants He has foreseen. He anticipates our needs; and out of the fullness that He has treasured up in Christ Jesus, He provides from His goodness for the poor. You may trust Him for all the necessities you may face, for He has infallibly known every one of them…God is aware of all the requirements of His poor, wandering children and when those needs occur, supplies are ready. It is goodness that He has prepared for the poor in heart, goodness and goodness only. ‘My grace is sufficient for you.’ ‘As your days, so shall your strength be.’ You will never come into such a position that Christ cannot help you. You will never arrive at a place in your spiritual affairs in which Jesus Christ will not be equal to the emergency, for your history has all been foreknown and provided for in Jesus.”
charles haddon spurgeon morning and evening

Today the words of scripture accompanied by the words of Spurgeon drew my heart once again to God's faithfulness and goodness. I realized a long time ago, that my lack of going to God in prayer and petition stemmed from unbelief and pride. I didn't think I deserved anything I would ask for, which was not believing that I stood before God justified...just as if I had never sinned. But God, who is rich in mercy helped me to see that I was viewing Him as a stingy, tyrannical God. Over the years He has only continue to change my heart about this and I could not be more grateful. My communication with the Lord is one of my favorite and most cherished things. - "Father, continue to break down walls of unbelief and pride in my heart. May my prayers be pleasing to You and my motives honoring. Grant me the kind of faith that could move mountains. Help me to unselfishly ask great things of a great God. You have given us a key to Heaven's door...may I daily use it. Amen"

No comments: