Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Seeing Things As They Should Be...

As he drew near to Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. And hearing a crowd going by, he inquired what this meant. They told him, “Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.” And he cried out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” And those who were in front rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” And Jesus stopped and commanded him to be brought to him. And when he came near, he asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?” He said, “Lord, let me recover my sight.” And Jesus said to him, “Recover your sight; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him, glorifying God. And all the people, when they saw it, gave praise to God. - Luke 18:35-43

Yesterday I received an email with a story that in essence spoke about sacrifice, gratefulness and complaining. It also, spoke about the truth of our human nature to forget where we have come from and what we’ve been saved from. How often have I been struggling with a sin in my life, been delivered from it and then had judgmental thoughts about someone else who is struggling with a sin? How many times have I had little, been given much and demanded more? How many times have I forgotten about the wrath and judgment I’ve been saved from and walk through my day in pride and self-righteousness? How many times has a friend or family member laid down their life for me and I only return the same kindness when it’s convenient? Here is part of the story from the email I received…

“There was once a blind girl who hated herself because she was blind. She hated everyone, except her loving boyfriend. He was always there for her. She told her boyfriend, 'If I could only see the world, I will marry you.'

One day, someone donated a pair of eyes to her. When the bandages came off, she was able to see everything, including her boyfriend.

He asked her, 'Now that you can see the world, will you marry me?' The girl looked at her boyfriend and saw that he was blind. The sight of his closed eyelids shocked her. She hadn't expected that. The thought of looking at them the rest of her life led her to refuse to marry him.
Her boyfriend left in tears and days later wrote a note to her saying: 'Take good care of your eyes, my dear, for before they were yours, they were mine.'”

This story reminded me of the great potential there is for me to take advantage of the people God has placed in my life, but more importantly of the potential to take advantage of Christ’s sacrifice for me. You see, the boy in the story gave his girlfriend his eyes because he loved her above all else. There was no sacrifice too great. But as soon as she had been set free from her blindness, she went her own way, forgetting about where she had come from and who had truly loved her. Christ loved us so much that he gave his very life. How many times have I chosen my own path and desires and forgotten about the one who died for me? When I consider His sacrifice, I should love Him all the more. This should also produce a heart of gratefulness, not complaint. A heart of humility, not pride. God has called us to praise and thankfulness, which honors Him, not complaining which is self-centered. He has not called us to die for the sins of all the people we know, but to die to our flesh. He has called us to cherish, love and serve those he has placed in our life and to love the lost souls of this world with the gospel. I know I can’t do any of these things on my own, but I have hope and faith that I can grow in these practices with God’s help and strength. “Lord, teach me how to truly love You and others in a way that glorifies You. Help me to see who I can sacrifice for today. Give me a heart of gratefulness for You and others. Keep complaining far from my lips and may I overflow with praise and thankfulness. Help me to not be blind to the things that really matter and to see things the way You see them. Amen”

Second part of the email…with a few edits.
Ways To Help Battle Complaining:

Today before you say an unkind word - Think of someone who can't speak.

Before you complain about the taste of your food - Think of someone who has nothing to eat.
Before you complain about your husband or wife - Think of someone who has lost theirs or is crying out to God for a companion.

Today before you complain about America, elections and government - Think of someone in another country who has none of the freedoms we have and who are persecuted, tortured and killed for being a Christian.

Before whining about the distance you drive - Think of someone who walks the same distance with their feet.

When you are tired and complain about your job - Think of the unemployed, the disabled, and those who wish they had your job.
And when depressing thoughts seem to get you down - Put a smile on your face and think: you're alive and Christ died in your place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sweetheart for this sweet reminder. I am grateful for the conviction that came along with hope for change.

Luv ya,
mom

Colleen Moore said...

Keep it coming Lana! LOVE the encouragement! =D

Lana said...

Thanks Mom and Colleen for all of the encouragement. You both excel in that area!