Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Teach Me Your Paths

Discerning the will of God has always been an area I can sinfully stress over. Through the years I have often worried about failing to make the right decisions, take the right fork in the road and follow God where He was leading. Would I be able to hear His voice? To sense His leading?

I have come to see that a possible reason for this continuing to be a battle is because I sometimes look to others to help me see God’s will in a matter instead of exercising faith and trust on my own. When I have to make a serious decision and I don’t know what to do, I want someone to tell me what to do. Anxiety can begin to rise up in me and that is always my first signal that I am not trusting God and am trying to be self-sufficient. This has always been a struggle for me and still is, but God in His kindness is helping me learn that I often make things WAY more complicated then they need to be. Like so many authors have said before, God is our Shepherd and is far more willing to show His sheep the path than the sheep are to follow. Knowing what I know of God and His character, I realize that it is ridiculous to think of God not faithfully leading us when we humbly go to Him.

I am reminded that discerning the will of God starts first and foremost with having a right relationship with God. Pursuing time with Him, praying and reading scripture. Every day of our lives we are called to do His will. I am to honor my parents…that’s God’s will. I am to be faithful at work…God’s will. Yes, things come along that we have to stop and consider what decision to make, but it’s in the ordinary duties that He is helping us learn to walk out His will effectively.
I think a lot of the time I am more aware of already knowing the answer to a decision then I readily admit. I go through the process of examining every detail and possible outcome and then fearfully worry about making the wrong decisions. That is a bold faced statement to God of my lack of trust in His sovereignty and faithfulness. This quote by Elisabeth Elliot helps me to see things more clearly.

“It's alluring to think of our own situation as very complex and ourselves as deep and complicated, so that we waste a good deal of time puzzling over "the will of God." Frequently our conscience has the answer.”

Even though I would like to imagine God audibly speaking to me as He did Moses and Abraham and Samuel…He most often speaks to us through conscience, His written word, through other people and through events.

“Events themselves, the seemingly insignificant happenings of every day, reveal the will of God. They are the will of God for us, for while we live, move, and have our being here on earth, in this place, this family, this house, this job, we live, move, and have our being in God. He "pulls strings through circumstances," as Jim Elliot said, even the bad circumstances (see Genesis 45:8, 50:20).”- Elliot

Elliot also poses three questions in helping to discern God’s will in a matter:
(1) Have I made up my mind to do what He says, no matter the cost?
(2) Am I faithfully reading His word and praying?
(3) Am I obedient in what I know today of His will?


"Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.” – Psalm 25:4-5

“The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand.” – Psalm 37:23-24

“Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. – Psalm 143:8

No comments: