Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Boundless

I don't know if any of you ever visit the Boundless website (www.boundless.org), but it always has some great articles on it. Today I read one by my friend Ricky Alcantar titled "Fighting Spiritual Drift", that was very good and helpful! There was also an article on there by Stephen Altrogge from Covenant Life in Maryland. His article, which was titled "Relationship Roulette", was also great and kind of follows the theme of worry that I wrote on yesterday. Here is an excerpt from that article,

"Doubting the Character of God

My doubt of the promises of God and the counsel of God were only symptoms however, of a deeper, more sinister problem: I doubted the very character of God. Scripture is clear that God is trustworthy, that He deeply loves His people, and that He will lead His people on good and pleasant paths. Romans 8:28 puts it this way: "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."

By letting my heart be ruled by fear and doubt, I was making a very loud statement about the character of God. I was saying that God couldn't be trusted to lead me into a wonderful, God-glorifying marriage. I was saying that God wouldn't lead me to the person that I was supposed to marry. I was saying that God didn't love me enough to work all things for my good. I was proclaiming a lie about the character of God. My lack of faith had turned me into a functional blasphemer." -Stephen Altrogge


This can be an area I unconsciously struggle with, but by God's grace I hope to fight the temptation to be a "functional blasphemer". If anyone has a chance I would recommend reading Stephen Altrogge's article as well as Ricky's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this Lana. I read Ricky's article and was greatly encouraged by it this morning. Every time I read something by him I am amazed not only by his writing ability but his spiritual maturity as well.