Monday, March 10, 2008

How Steady Is His Hand...


The definition of "Trust": reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing; confidence.

From Psalm 56:
When I am afraid,
I put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.

You have kept count of my tossings,
put my tears in your bottle.
Are they not in your book?

This I know, that God is for me.
In God, whose word I praise,
in the LORD, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
What can man do to me?


This psalm is titled, "In God I Trust". These words are easy for me to say with my mouth, but do I really live my life like I believe it? I think I can sometimes develop a pattern of trusting God in certain areas and not in others. David, gives us one of the major keys to his trust in God in the above psalm. "whose word I praise". David has made God's word a priority in his life and has learned to trust God because he has learned to know God. We will never be able to trust what we don't fully know. Through God's word we learn about his trustworthy character, his promises and his faithfulness. So, one of the essential tools I hope to implement in my life more strategically to help battle my sin of "lack of trust" is to study God's word more closely and bind it to my heart, so that when I am tempted to be fearful I can say like David, "This I know, that God is for me. In the Lord, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid." I believe starting with working on my trust in the Lord will in turn overflow into other areas of my life where fear may be a problem. I am praying that, by God's grace, I will grow in this area and that I will be able to glorify God, who is worthy of all our trust, more fully.
"The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy;-Psalm 111:7"

How great is the love of God
How steady is His hand
To guide me through this world
Though I am weak in Him I stand
And you will hear me say today,
In faith, I'm gonna trust in God

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lana, I was encouraged by what you wrote today. I love how Psalm 56:8 expresses God's tenderness towards us--such that He keeps count of our tears and tossings!

One of my all-time favorite verses is Isaiah 26:3: "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you." When we choose to trust God and "stay" our minds on his, to use your words, "trustworthy character," He gives us perfec peace!

Anonymous said...

This is a great verse to memorize