Thursday, March 20, 2008

Courage To Serve Even If We Think We'll Fail...

I can often be tempted to be reluctant in serving in different areas or even in participating in certain activities purely because I know it is likely that I will not be that good at it. My philosophy can often be to not step up and volunteer for something because I think "someone better equipped" will come along to get the job done, but the root of this is ultimately pride. Carolyn Mahaney gives some excellent insight into this...

"Using our gifts requires humility. For as I’ve often reminded my girls (and myself!): “There’s always going to be someone better than you at what you do.” There’s always going to be the smarter kid in the class, the more outgoing friend, the more talented co-worker, the more organized homemaker, the more capable homeschool teacher, the more energetic servant, the more gifted than you at whatever you do. And you know what? These people have been strategically placed in our lives to expose our pride and help us serve with humility. How much easier it would be to stick to arenas where we think we shine. But we should do our best even when we may not be the best. We should be willing to risk making mistakes, to allow others to see where we lack gifting and need help. And when we humbly serve--even when we’re not the best--we’ll be pleasantly surprised at how God can use our meager gifts to encourage others and bring glory to Him!" - Carolyn Mahaney

If I am truly desiring to serve, than it won't matter to me if I'm the best at it, only that I do my best at it. This is a good reminder for me to do all for the glory of God.

"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..." - Philippians 2:5-7
-Sorry for the picture...I just thought it was funny. It's a demotivator from despair.com =)

1 comment:

Jenn Romanski said...

I love the demotivators!

More importantly, I loved your heart in posting this. I often forget that serving is MEANT to be a sacrifice...not just when it is convenient to me. But this reminder of serving even when I feel inept and inadequate is so good for my soul.

Thanks for being faithful to share!