Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Destroying The Effectiveness Of Life...

"What good has worrying ever accomplished? It has never made anyone stronger, helped anyone do God's will, or provided for anyone a way of escape out of their anxiety or confusion." - L.B. Cowman



Today I was reading in a devotional called Streams In The Desert by L.B. Cowman. The title alone is enticing and gives you hope that the pages that follow will hold a tranquil haven for your soul to retreat and be refreshed. I was randomly fanning through the pages when I came across a familiar verse as the header, "do not be anxious about anything". What is comforting about this verse is that it tells us that God knows we struggle with worry and cares enough to help us through it and provide biblical truth to assist us. Worry is a sin against God. When I worry I am telling God that I don't trust Him and that I really don't believe that He is faithful, sovereign and trustworthy over my life.

"Worry only destroys the effectiveness of lives that would otherwise be useful and beautiful."- L.B. Cowman

Worry:"Can anything be gained by it? Don't we only make ourselves unfit for action and separate our minds from the ability to make wise decisions? We simply sink in our struggles when we could float by faith." - L.B. Cowman


A lack of worry in our lives speaks volumes of our trust in God. He is glorified and we are satisfied and at peace. The Bible says that we can't add a single hour to our life by worrying...so I hope that as hard or difficult situations arise, I will be able to honor God be actively choosing not to worry and trust everything to His capable hands.

No comments: