Monday, January 14, 2008

One + Nineteen


This new year has already been so busy, that I have not had the time or made it, to spend a large chunk of quiet time to prayerfully consider what things I should pursue over the next eleven months. It has always been so helpful for me to write down what areas I need to grow in and what projects I should undertake. However, I have to resist the temptation to become too ambitious and set myself up for failure. This quote by David Powlison helps me to keep things in perspective,

“We are simple people. You can’t remember ten things at once. Invariably, if you could remember just ONE true thing…you’d be different. Connect one bit of Scripture to one bit of life…. Apply one relevant thing from our Redeemer to one significant scene in your story. Bring one bit of the Bible to one bit of your life….You can’t deal with it all at once. Scripture never does…. Life goes one step at a time.”

"So we see that the mark of true spirituality doesn’t require ten giant steps forward. One step at a time is sufficient. In fact, you could argue that choosing one area for growth in godliness is an expression of humility. It’s a humble acknowledgment of our serious limitations as 'simple people'. And what’s more, growth in one area almost always affects every other area of our lives. So rather than lament about the twenty ways we need to grow in godliness, let’s be encouraged that as we isolate just one and devote ourselves to change in that area, by the grace of God it will affect the other nineteen." -Nicole Whitacre


Thinking of my "list" of new year's aspirations in this context, helps me to prioritize and really ask God what it is He would have me give my attention to. I am looking forward to taking some time soon to discern what would glorify the Lord in my life this next year!

1 comment:

single focus family said...

I really like these quotes Lana. They really help you put your true capabilities into perspective. Imagine the hopeless feeling of attempting to accomplish these "lists" without the grace of God... Mission Impossible. Thanks for sharing

-Kyle-