Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Acknowledging Him, Even In The Mundane


Sorry about the lack of posting. I just returned from my trip to El Paso last night. I am hoping to post some info about my trip soon, along with some pictures. We'll see when that happens. =) For now I want to share about an ongoing area that the Lord is helping me in and by trying to grow in this area, I have received a sweet gift as well!

“NO unwelcome tasks become any the less unwelcome
by putting them off till tomorrow. It is only when they
are behind us and done, that we begin to find that there
is a sweetness to be tasted afterwards, and that the
remembrance of unwelcome duties unhesitatingly done
is welcome and pleasant. Accomplished, they are full of
blessing, and there is a smile on their faces as they leave us.
Undone, they stand threatening and disturbing our
tranquility, and hindering our communion with God. If there be
lying before you any bit of work from which you shrink,
go straight up to it, and do it at once. The only way
to get rid of it is to do it.” Alexander MacLaren

The area I have been trying to work on is laziness, which is self-idolatry and pride. I have been working on dying to my flesh when there are things to be done, or simply better things to do. The Lord has been impressing on my heart the importance of "redeeming the time". I just started reading "Don't Waste Your Life" and already have been deeply convicted. My mom has been one of the greatest means of grace in helping me in this area. Though she would never say this, it's not hard to see that all my efforts fall painfully short of all she does in her daily life. She truly excels in living out the qualities of a Proverbs 31 woman! Now this sweet gift I have been given has come in the form of communion with God. I know that even in the little mundane tasks of my life, there is no hope for me to rightly accomplish them without the Lord's help, so I have been praying whenever something little comes up that I need to do. It seems that over time, my praying has become more and more frequent to the point where I don't even realize I've started praying to God about something. Sometimes when I see a person, the Holy Spirit will prompt me to pray for them, or a situation comes up and I start to seek His counsel. It's nothing that I would normally do on my own, but God in His rich kindness and mercy has been drawing my heart to Him in a deeper way. Sometimes I can't help but cry when I consider how "normal" praying has become in my life. That may sound strange to some, but I know how prone my heart is to wander. I know how selfish, prideful and self-sufficient I can be. I know how sinful I am and how Holy God is. I know that He deserves Glory and I deserve death. So, when there is even this small evidence of growing in my communion with the Lord, I am overwhelmed. I am hoping that my prayer life will continue to grow to new depths that I never imagined. How kind of God to be concerned with the details of our lives!

In all your ways acknowledge him.” Proverbs 3:6
"Take one step at a time, every step under Divine warrant
and direction. Ever plan for yourself in simple dependence
on God. It is nothing less than self-idolatry to conceive
that we can carry on even the ordinary matters of the day
without his counsel. He loves to be consulted...Consider
no circumstances too clear to need his direction. In all thy
ways, small as well as great; in all thy concerns, personal
or relative, temporal or eternal, let him be supreme. Who
of us has not found the unspeakable 'peace' of bringing to
God matters too minute or individual to be entrusted
to the most confidential ear?"- Bridges

1 comment:

Candace said...

Lana this was very humbly spoken! Thank you for sharing what the Lord has convicted you with lately. I hope your trip was fun! I can't wait to see you and hear all about it!