Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How Should I Walk?

Trying to discern God's will has always been something I have struggled with. I over analyze, over spiritualize and am just plain scared to make decisions for fear of making a wrong one. But over the past several months God has been graciously helping me learn to think a little differently. Through words of wisdom from people in my life, books and the scriptures, my theology concerning God's will has been shifting. That's not to say I still don't have a difficult time sorting through decisions, but it's getting easier. I've been learning that when I am devoted to glorifying God in all I do, reading the scriptures and in healthy fellowship with other believer's, making wise decisions comes more easily. Yes, sometimes it's good not to rush into a decision and instead take sometime to think and pray about it, but I realize that I have made cowardice and procrastination into a spiritual matter. I need to love God, trust Him and make decisions in faith, knowing that our caring and sovereign God will redirect my steps if need be. I would recommend the book by Kevin DeYoung called "Just Do Something". It's a wonderful resource on this subject and challenged my thinking considerably. - The following from John Newton speaks perfectly about the importance of being lead by God and His word. Advice and reason can go a long way in making a choice, but ultimately, we are to be governed by God's word. He knows we need help and He is ready and willing to lead us...the leading just might look different than we think.

"No person can adjust and draw the line exactly for another. There are so many particulars in every situation, of which a stranger cannot be a competent judge, and the best human advice is mixed with such defects—that it is not right to expect others to be absolutely guided by our rules; nor is it safe for us implicitly to adopt the decisions or practices of others.

But the Scripture undoubtedly furnishes sufficient and infallible rules for every person, for whatever the circumstances; and the throne of grace is appointed for us to wait upon the Lord for the best exposition of His precepts. Thus David often prays to be led in the right way, "Show me the path where I should walk, O Lord; point out the right road for me to follow. Lead me by Your truth and teach me." Psalm 25:4-5

By frequent prayer, and close acquaintance with the Scripture, and a habitual attention to the frame of our hearts, there is a certain delicacy of spiritual taste and discernment to be acquired, which renders a proper judgment concerning the nature and limits of questionable things. Love to Christ is the clearest and most persuasive factor; and when our love to Jesus is in lively exercise, and the rule of his Word is in our eye—we seldom make great mistakes!" j.n.

1 comment:

GraceFullMom said...

<3
Thank you, Lana, for posting such truth!