Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Suck The Honey Out Of It


One of the things that God has been impressing upon my heart as of late is the importance of immersing myself in His word. I can become discouraged with what little growth I see in my life at times and wonder why my road of sanctification seems to be on a conveyor belt in reverse. But then God, with His gentle Holy Spirit, reminds me that one bit of scripture applied to one bit of life can transform ashes into beauty! Have I been doing that? Not really. I see that it's time for me to get serious about growing into a woman after God's own heart and applying myself to that task. It's more than a task...it's a life.

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. - Psalm 1:1-3

While reading Psalm 1 was brought to my attention again. It is such a clear picture of what happens when we make God's word apart of our daily lives. When a person delights in the law of the Lord and meditates on it day and night, he will yield fruit and prosper. That is my hope and prayer right now. To bear fruit and prosper in godliness. To never stop producing fruit, but strive to delight in God's word so that I do not wither. There is no negative outcome that can occur by diving into the scriptures. Blessings greater than we can imagine await us there. - I love the following quote below. It has motivated me anew and God in his unending kindness has moved upon my heart with fresh passion to pursue godliness and a deeper communion with Him. All I can say is that I'm excited and God is good!

Suck the honey out of it! by Spurgeon
It is wonderful the effect of a single verse of Scripture
when the Spirit of God applies it to the soul.
What power would come upon the soul,
if we would grasp a single line of Scripture
and suck the honey out of it till our soul
is filled with sweetness.

No comments: