Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mountain Of Fear


It's easy for me to allow fear to invade my life if I'm not faithful to guard against it. The really sad thing is that my fears are often unfounded and conjured up out of a million possibilities but not probabilities. I'm sure most of you have heard the saying to not make a mountain out of a mole hill. Meaning, don't make something big out of something small. Well, fear often has a way of making something big out of things that don't even exist.

Puritan John Flavel comments on this habit: “The rules of fear are not like the rules in arithmetic, where many nothings make nothing, but fear can make something out of nothing, yea, many things, and great things out of nothing at all. Take Psalm 53:5 for example, 'There they are, in great terror, where there is no terror!' Here was a great fear raised or created out of nothing at all; had their fear been examined or hunted home to its original, it would have been found a pure creature of fancy. In the written word are found all sorts of refreshing, strengthening and heart-reviving promises prepared by the wisdom and care of God for our relief.”

One great way to fight fear is with the truth of God's comforting words and promises found in scripture. When I let fear and doubt rule my life, I am calling God a liar. I'm saying that He can't be trusted. Can't work all things together for good. Can't love me enough to actually lavish His grace and blessings upon me. I honor God when I trust Him. And He IS so worthy of trust!

“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” (Is. 41:10).

No comments: