Tuesday, July 7, 2009

God Is Our Refuge, Strength And Mighty Fortress

Hmmm, I think the Lord has an agenda in mind concerning what I've been reading lately. Yesterday my Morning and Evening entry was on fear. My Elisabeth Elliot devotional was on fear. Valley of Vision spoke of fear. The scripture I read in Psalms was concerning fear. Is God hinting at something? Yeah, I think so. How kind of God to be so intentional about addressing the state of our hearts. I think one reason God takes fear and worry so seriously, is because when we struggle with it, it often paralyzes us and makes us ineffective, not to mention it tells God we don't trust Him. When you are afraid, trust in the Lord and remind yourself of the truth of His word. He promises to never leave us or forsake us. We can trust that promise!

"What good has worrying ever accomplished? It has never made anyone stronger, helped anyone do God's will, or provided for anyone a way of escape out of their anxiety or confusion." - L.B. Cowman

“We must tread down our enemies, including all the nagging "what ifs" of our lives. To frightening possibilities Christ answers, "I will never leave you or forsake you." Let the very worst thing come to pass-even there, especially there, his hand will hold us. That's why He became a man. That's why He died. That's why He rose again. My Lord and my God--forgive my fears. Deliver me by the power of your resurrection."- E.E.

"Worry only destroys the effectiveness of lives that would otherwise be useful and beautiful."- L.B. Cowman

"God is our Refuge, our Strength, our Mighty Fortress. Nothing will get by the moat of his protection without his permission. To be afraid of what happens today or what may happen tomorrow is not only an awful waste of energy, it is not only useless, it is disobedient. We are forbidden to fear anything but the Lord Himself."- E.E.

Worry:"Can anything be gained by it? Don't we only make ourselves unfit for action and separate our minds from the ability to make wise decisions? We simply sink in our struggles when we could float by faith." - L.B. Cowman

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord
in the land of the living! Wait for the Lord; be strong,
and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!
Psalm 27:1, 13-14

2 comments:

amazed said...

Very timely, my friend. God even uses posts like yours to speak to us.

Thanks for sharing what God is showing you.

Lana said...

Thanks for the encouragement. God is so good!