Friday, April 10, 2009

The Trouble Tree

This little story someone sent me reminded me of the verse,

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you."

God is always faithful to take care of our troubles when we release them into His capable hands. The very act is freeing and we are then able to continue through our day with peace and thanksgiving, knowing our loving Father has everything under control.

The Tree
I hired a plumber to help me restore an old farmhouse, and after he had
just finished a rough first day on the job: a flat tire made him lose an
hour of work, his electric drill quit and his ancient one ton truck refused to start.

While I drove him home, he sat in stony silence. On arriving, he invited me
in to meet his family. As we walked toward the front door, he paused briefly
at a small tree, touching the tips of the branches with both hands.

When opening the door he underwent an amazing transformation... His face
was wreathed in smiles and he hugged his two small children and gave his
wife a kiss.

Afterward he walked me to the car. We passed the tree and my curiosity got
the better of me. I asked him about what I had seen him do earlier.

'Oh, that's my trouble tree,' he replied 'I know I can't help having
troubles on the job, but one thing's for sure, those troubles don't belong
in the house with my wife and the children.. So I just hang them up on the
tree every night when I come home and ask God to take care of them. Then in
the morning I pick them up again.' 'Funny thing is,' he smiled,' when I come
out in the morning, they don't seem nearly as bad as I remembered the night before.

The tree that matters most is the one Christ died on. In the shadow of the cross, everything else pales in comparison. It's good to remember that God rescued us from our sin by sending His own Son. Why then would He deny us help with our troubles? He loves to be consulted and leaned upon for support. He's the best friend we have.

No comments: